The history of the Klaipėda University Library starts with 1991, the year of the establishment of Klaipėda University. The Library operates as an independent KU unit in accordance with its own regulation. At present, it has six branches in different places of the Klaipėda City.
The mission of the Library.Given constant changes in the research/study process in the KU and the academic world in general, the Library understands its main mission as the assistance to the KU community:
- in the building, collection, dissemination, and the use of knowledge;
- in the mastering of new information and communication technologies;
- in the development of information competences of the community members.
The vision of the Library: to make the Klaipėda University Library a modern academic library, characterised by:
- high level of customer service;
- the diversity of provided information;
- wide use of modern information technology;
- a good working environment for the users and the staff.
The Library is proud of its rare publications on the history of Samogitia and Lithuania Minor stored in Dr. Kazys Pemkus library-archives, the Archives of Lithuania Minor, and the Archives of Culture and Arts of Lithuanian emigrants in the Main Library. The majority of those publications are donations of Lithuanian emigrants from abroad.
The Library is one of the constantly developing and improving units of the University. Since 2001, all the Library services are based on an integrated library system ALEPH 500.
The library collection consists from 155 361 titles (314838 copies) of print books, periodicals, rare documents and manuscripts. They are acquired taking into account the study programs and research areas at the University. The library provides the University community with access to 24 databases:
17754 full-text journals,
265354 el. books,
43809 other documents,
51,000 LSD standards.
The KU Library participate/participated in various projects:
- eMoDB.LT3: Opening the Online Research Databases for Lithuania – Stage 3 (2015 to 2020)
- eMoDB.LT2: Opening of the Online Research Databases for Lithuania – Stage 2 (2012 – 2015)
- eMoDB.LT: Opening of Online Research Databases for Lithuania (2009 – 2012)
- Renovation of data storage of Klaipėda University Library (VP2-1.1-ŠMM-06-V-01-005; 2012 to 2013).
- Library of Vytautas Strolia: returning to Lithuania Minor(2009)
The KU Library is a member of the following national and international library organisations: